My photo
Denver, Colorado
These are my stories of cooking, creating, succeeding, and failing, but doing what I love all along.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

September!

September was one hell of a month!! Events, offsite, weddings, rehearsal dinners, buyouts... Is't September a slow month in the restaurant industry!?!
My 3 favorite moments of September:
Suburban Home Records Sweet 16 Brunch (since I couldn't make the actual shows, ha!)
Flavors of Denver
9News Saucy Affair

First was the Hangover brunch. You can read about that in my previous post. :)

Flavors of Denver was an absolute blast! The event had 20(?) of Denver's chefs cooking a four-course dinner paired with wine tableside for 10 people, each paying $400 a seat to raise money for the American Liver Foundation. We all made a passed appetizer for 100 people as well.
Schmoozin' my table
My menu was as follows:

Passed appetizer: Wonton chip topped with avocado goat cheese and pickled corn salsa

First course: California caesar with fresh berries tossed in plum aioli, served in romaine leaves with mandrin oranges.

Second course: Poblano crab bisque

Third course: Soy marinated portobellos, wasabi hummus, sweet ginger bechemel

Fourth course: Sake-cilantro marinated beef tenderloin, seared sweet potatoes and onions, jalapeno soubise

It was a very hectic day, but so much fun!







Two days later I participated in the 9News Saucey Affair. 15 Chefs come up with an appetizer and, most importantly, a sauce to top it off with. I did root-beer braised ribs with a sweet poblano BBQ sauce. After setting up and getting rolling, Andrew Lubatty, executive chef of the Avenue Grill, came over to my table. His stove burned out and  asked if I could spare one of my burners. I use Coleman camping stoves for offsites rather than the single german stoves, so I cleared my burner and hung out with him for the remainder of the event talking about food, offsites, the Denver scene... it was great!! The night couldn't have gotten better...


til the head judge approached our table. "excuse me, how do we spell your last name?" I had won the judges choice for the event!
So what do you do when you win a bowl with a golden whisk trophy?













You take a shot out of it!









I'm not going to say I'm going to miss this crazy ass September, but man was it a fun one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment